I’m leaving 7 inches of my hair behind in 2017! I decided I couldn’t go any longer without cutting my hair short and I am so happy I made this decision. When I first cut my hair short five years ago, I will admit, it wasn’t with the best intention in mind (I did it because one of my boyfriends said I shouldn’t cut my hair short). That probably wasn’t the best motivation for a dramatic haircut…But anyways, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Although I love my new haircut, it does require a lot more work than longer hair.
I came up with four tips if you are considering cutting your hair short. Maybe you want a fresh start to the New Year, or maybe you’re just ready for a change.
“A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life” – Coco Chanel
Here are some pros & cons and tips to consider before you take the leap to cut your hair short.
Pros & Cons:
- Can make you look more mature
- Easy to blow dry
- Easy to straighten/curl
- Change/fresh start
- Donate hair (if your hair is long enough)
- Have to blow dry hair more regularly
- No more top knots, ponytails, or any high updos
- Have to style constantly
- Regular haircuts to maintain the length
- Make sure you are 100% committed to short hair because it will be awhile before you can have long hair again.
- Do your research! Google pictures of haircuts that you want & bring them to your hairdresser. For instance, at my last haircut, I asked her to give me a “Khloe Kardashian bob”.
- Test out what you would look like with short hair. Get an app or take a picture and create the illusion your hair is short. You don’t want to go into this commitment without having a general idea of what you’ll look like.
- Lastly, ask your hairdresser to cut your hair a little longer than you had originally planned so that they are able to go back and perfect your desired length. It’s better safe than sorry.
I hope these tips were helpful and hopefully gave you some closure on your haircut decision. I definitely encourage anyone who is constantly considering shorter hair to just go for it! You may be surprised how much you love having shorter hair!